Diabetes is reaching epidemic proportions in the United States. During the past decade, there has been an increase of 33% with the diabetic population currently topping 16 million people. There are many complications associated with diabetes including kidney, heart, vision, circulatory and foot problems. The good news is that many of these potential problems can be minimized as a result of life style changes, medications and other preventive care.
Amputations, or partial amputations, of the feet and legs are also growing at an alarming rate. Infact, diabetes is the leading cause of non-traumatic amputations in the United States. Recently a task force was created by officials from Medicare, the American Podiatric Medical Association and the American Diabetes Association in order to explore ways to reduce the number of amputations in the diabetic population. The number of these lower extremity amputations grew by 28% in just the past several years. However, it has been determined that over half of these amputations could have been prevented by timely, conservative foot care.
We are authorized Medicare Suppliers to evaluate, prescribe and dispense high quality shoes and 3 pairs of removable shoe inserts per calendar year. Many diabetic patients qualify for this benefit and Medicare will pay 80% of the cost for the shoes and insoles. Your supplemental insurance should pay the other 20%.